500ml full cream milk
1 ½ L fresh cream
28 egg yolks
4tsp vanilla essence
pinch of salt
- In a pot, heat milk & cream to just boiling point.
- With a hand whisk, vigorously blend together the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla essence.
- Whilst whisking continuously, slowly add the hot liquid to the egg mixture
- Leave to cool completely at room temperature, then preferably refrigerate overnight.
- Pour into ramekin bowls and place them in a baking tray, containing a 2cm layer of water.
- Bake @ 130 degrees for ± 1- 1 ½ hours until set.
- Allow to cool.
- Before serving, sprinkle with brown sugar and scorch with a blow torch