1kg lean mince
2 large onions (finely chopped)
2 Tbsp oil
3 Tbsp butter
6 slices of white bread
2 cups (500ml) water
1 box SpiceMecca Bobotie spice
1 Tbsp garlic and ginger paste
± 2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp fruit chutney
5-6 fresh lemon leaves or bay leaves
2 eggs + 1 cup (250ml) milk (whisked lightly)
- Chopped green coriander
- 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice and zest
- Wash and drain mince and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Braise onions in oil and butter until golden brown.
- Soak bread in water and squeeze excess water from bread.
- Add SpiceMecca Bobotie spice to the mince. Then add bread, braised onions, garlic and ginger paste, salt and chutney.
- Mix well and spread into an ovenproof dish.
- Insert lemon/bay leaves into the mince.
- Bake at 180° C for 30 -35 minutes.
- Pour egg wash over mince and bake until egg mixture has set.
- Serve with sweet yellow rice, mashed potatoes and beetroot salad.